i think i'm in love with pears

on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I have a thing for pears.  I painted some once..I'm no great shakes as an artist...it was hard, but I persevered, even when I wanted to throw the bloody thing out the window...and this watercolour now hangs in my kitchen...
And when a good friend of mine bought one of these marble pears...well what was I to do?
Really, what choice did I have...I had to have one too right? (Susan you know imitation is the highest form of flattery don't you?)
Who wouldn't like a pear tart like this to eat on a coolish autumn night...
Lisa Wilkinson thinks pears are cool...a very popular morning TV host and the youngest ever editor of a national magazine in Australia - 21 and the editor of Dolly; 25 and they made her the boss at Cleo magazine (where coincidentally the first born now works!).  This hangs in her house. Honestly, who are we to argue with her?

Perhaps you'd like one of these hanging on the wall...race you for the Cezanne!



Then of course there's these humongous great pears outside the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra where I live (Canberra, not the gallery, although I wouldn't mind a night in there with all those treasures...it might be a bit spooky though)

I first saw these in Brisbane on display at Expo 88 (on the first day of the exhibition...actually it's exposition isn't it...I was giving birth to my son...the doctor was not happy to be attending to Ben's birth instead of Expo I suspect...but we were very glad he was...or wasn't, depending on how you look at it!)
And how could we forget this...
Some of these pear blossom branches in a great big vase would be beautiful wouldn't they...

Or perhaps some fruit 'art'...
...ok, perhaps not....I'm just being silly now!

What is it about pears do you think?  And why do they get such a bad rap sometimes...why do we describe a pear shaped person as one who's gone a little too far to the right of centre when it comes to svelte? Why do we say 'it's all gone pear shaped'..as if that were a bad thing.  No way, more power to pears I say!


image 1,2 - me; image 3, 5, 6, 7, 11 - google; image 4 via driftwood interiors (thanks Kerri!); image 8, 10 - flickr; image 9 - wikipedia