what I've been reading...

on Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yes, well...the best laid plans and all that. I was meant to give you a list of what I'd read each month but it appears I haven't done that since the March list I published in early April. Oops.
So, this is a biggie...all the books that I've read since then in one fell swoop. The ones I can remember that is...perhaps there have been a few others :)
In order:
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison - fiction
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua - non fiction
Shiver by Nikki Gemmel - Australian fiction
Season of Second Chances by Diane Meier - fiction
Stealing Picasso by Anson Cameron - Australian fiction
Odd Socks by Ilsa Evans - fluff
The Other Half Lives by Sophie Hannan - psychological thriller
Affection by Ian Townsend - fictionalised account of real people set in Townsville during an outbreak of the bubonic plague in 1900
Lessons in Letting Go by Corinne Grant - Australian memoir
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks (my favourite author) - historical fiction
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt - historical fiction
The Last Magician by Janette Turner Hospital - Australian fiction
The Memoir Book by Patti Miller - Australian non fiction
Writing your Life by Patti Miller - Australian non fiction
(Patti was the brilliant teacher and wonderful writer who nurtured our writing experiences in Bali)
Good Harbor by Anita Diamant - fiction
Last Chance Cafe by Liz Bryzki - Australian fiction
The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas - Australian fiction and winner of many prizes

As I work on trying to establish my own writing life I am more and more grateful for all the authors who've been in my life and thrilled me with their words for decades. I had no idea how hard it was! Or how rewarding. Reading and writing. Don't hang out for the 'rithmetic though...that's not about to happen :)