mopping up...tears and a bit of silliness

on Thursday, January 13, 2011

All I've been able to do over the last three days is sit glued to the tv watching the flood coverage...weeping along with a mountain of Queenslanders, who are indeed a mob to be proud of...
...and knitting dishcloths! 
I kid you not. Don't laugh...they're very absorbent. Perhaps I should send them to Queensland :) And no, I don't knit them with calligraphy brushes!
There's going to be an awful lot of Chux needed to mop up this lot isn't there?
Wish I was closer so that I could help in some practical, hands on way. 
I have lived in Brisbane three times in my life due to Army postings and it's the city where my kids were born, so I have a very soft spot for it.
Just quietly, I'm a bit chuffed with the dishcloth pattern. I dreamed it up all by myself after much trial and error. There was a lovely black one too but I gave it to Richard.
There are many photos of the floods in The Australian newspaper's galleries page. The photos of Grantham are particularly heartbreaking. It's never too late to donate to the Premier's Fund...click here...the clean up bill will be just that...billions. And all extremities crossed for Goondiwindi which is holding its collective breath at the moment.

p.s. I used to knit them like this...double cotton so they are very thick...but perhaps too thick to dry out quickly enough for dishwashing and mopping up......they'll probably end up joined together as a rug for the vampire slayer!