around my house ~ things that make me smile

on Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Do you know Danielle over at Hello Owl? Each week she hosts a 'My Place & Yours' bloggy get-together. She lives in the bush...I think she likes the company...go and visit! When I saw that this week's theme for My Place & Yours, chosen by Hayley from Our Unique Journey, was things in your home that make you smile...I thought I'd have a go...and to be honest work has been so full on I didn't have any other post up my sleeve. Are you ready for a glimpse into the tranquil townhouse and the style that makes me smile? Well, I smile at:
  • colour, pattern and texture...

On my coffee table, a carved stone box I bought in Vietnam, a cloisonnĂ© bowl from a trip to Beijing, a little pot from Oxfam, and a glass thingy I made with my very own hands in a course at the Canberra Glassworks...I love that place. And under it a rug from Iran [I didn't travel for that one] and an embroidered velvet footstool. 
  • whimsy...

My 'of course they can fly' pig. It's a cast iron money box but no money I'm afraid. Strange as it may sound, I think if my house was burning down I'd want to save him...even though he's as heavy as all get out. I'm sure it's a him. Maybe not...what do you reckon? P.S. the brown woodwork does not make me smile...it will be going to paint heaven very soon.
  • the classic beauty of blue and white china...
I had more but I got rid of a lot when I downsized...I think I may have to start collecting again...there's space on those shelves for sure. And yes there is blue and white in the bottom left pic if you look very closely!
  • reminders of my travels...
Vintage mongolian wall hanging...I bought this when I was lucky enough to work in Mongolia for a few weeks in 2005. It's hand embroidered (this one sewn in 1958) and signed by a woman, or perhaps it was a girl whose name means Honey in English. I liked that. These hangings are used to line the inside walls of the gers (yurts) lived in by nomadic Mongolians.
  • flowers (and candles) in the bedroom...

Flowers and candles anywhere really...but there's something special about having them in the bedroom I think. And I love my black wall. I always smile when I see it and congratulate myself for my bravery!! Isn't that right Jules...go see hers here??
  • funnily enough...
My John Denver autograph. Oh stop laughing! John and the pig are getting saved if the house is on fire. Hey, maybe I should call the pig Denver?! If you're a true tragic like me you can read my post about John here. It has lots of pretty pictures :)
  • buddhas...
Yes, bloggy peeps it's not called a TRANQUIL townhouse for nothing. I have lots of buddhas...they're serene. I mainly have enigmatic ones like these but I do have a couple of laughing buddhas as well. This is a collection I will definitely be keeping and growing. Fashionable or not!
  • last, and definitely least...
Capturing the vampire slayer in a very unflattering pose! Oh yes, that is smile worthy. Laughable actually.
Thank you Danielle for hosting My Place & Yours...it was fun taking a look at things around the place from a different perspective. I had lots more I could have included...the 22 year old for instance...who sometimes makes me smile...but not last night when he spilled red curry all over the carpet! That was more a grimace than a smile. And the MGM when he visits of course...he's very funny so it's more laughing than smiling.
Come back tomorrow for my weekly picks of the top ten images since last Thursday. Oh the blog stalking I've been doing for those! Gasp-arama-ness.
all images taken and picnicked by me