what I read in october 2011...

on Thursday, November 10, 2011

It was another mighty reading month here in the townhouse...ten books, making my year to date total 63! Pretty impressive even if I do say so myself :-)
Here are the October covers...
And in order of reading:
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (fiction)
A Cup of Light by Nicole Mones (fiction)
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (fiction)
Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott (fiction)
The Thoughtful Dresser by Linda Grant (non-fiction/memoir)
Odd One Out by Monica McInerney (fiction)
Waiting Room by Gabrielle Carey (memoir)
The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Toibin (fiction)
The Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble (fiction)
Still Alice by Lisa Genova (fiction)
As you can see, it was heavy on the fiction this month, but my goodness there were some powerful reads...I think that books find you, in fact I'm convinced of it, and this month two of the books dealt with dementia (Still Alice and Waiting Room), and one with ageing (Water for Elephants). I'm sure these books found their way to me to help me understand and deal with my dad's dementia diagnosis. Still Alice was especially moving, and also very instructive. The author is a neuroscientist, or was...she's now a writer...which I think is why the book is so believable, and such a sympathetic portrayal of early onset Alzheimers. She has a blog here. This book was my favourite this month, closely followed by A Cup of Light (the author's previous book The Last Chinese Chef was also wonderful) and The Blackwater Lightship. Odd One Out was a bit of fluff and I really couldn't say to you rush out and read it (to be honest I can't even remember what it was about although it was pleasant enough at the time), but all the others...yes. They weren't all easy reads but they were worthwhile. Most definitely.
I hope your reading is going well. 10 books in the 10th month...I'll be trying for 11 in November :-)