what I read in february 2011

on Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February...over already. That's ludicrous. Have I told you that ludicrous is my favourite word? Well it is.
So, we know February is a short month, and I'm back at work...and back to working full time for a while (yes, it's unfortunately necessary) so you won't be surprised that I haven't read as many books this month as I did in January. That may become a record, even for me!
Here's what I managed though...six...not bad for a short month.
Aunts up the Cross by Robin Eakin - memoir
The Men and the Girls by Joanna Trollope - fiction
A Married Man by Catherine Alliott - fiction
Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon - historical fiction
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - fiction
Details by Lili Diallo - design

So how did I go? There's quite a bit of 'fluff' this month isn't there? But that's ok...perhaps February can be official fluff month in future :) And all of the fiction is Brit fiction...how on earth did that happen! And speaking of all things Brit...that gorgeous possum Colin...ah. Here's part of his off stage press conference after winning the Oscar...


Now where was I after that momentary distraction? Of course I loved looking at all the beautiful pictures in Details...secrets of styling indeed..it was delicious. And yes, I did read all the text as well...I'm not a cheater!
Aunts up the Cross is so quirky...what a family. Eccentricity redefined. I think my favourite though was The Men and the Girls.
I don't think I've ever read a Joanna Trollope book that I haven't loved. Her characters always have the most wonderful flaws; but there's always something to love about them. This is a story of two women living with older men. The main character is Kate, married to James, and then there's Julia, married to Hugh. Hugh and James are old friends. Beatrice Bachelor (isn't that a fab name), a feisty 'spinster', comes into their lives when James knocks her off her bike, and she becomes a catalyst for enormous change. Trollope never ends her novels in quite the way you would expect, but when you're done, you nod your head and go...yep, that's just as it should be.
Two very long plane trips coming up for me this month...I've gone to the dark side and will be reading off this...
Could this be the end of the world as I know it. Doesn't bear thinking about :)