passing on the blog love...and my most embarrassing moment

on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sara Louise from the eponymous Sara in le petit village (do you have any idea how much I've wanted to use the word eponymous in a sentence?) gave me the Stylish Blogger award a little while ago...
...and then Melli from Melli's designs (I'll resist using that word again) tagged me.
Don't get me wrong, I love these things but there's pressure involved. Who to pass an award on to; what to tell you that's interesting that you don't already know, and, according to the stylish blogger award, what's secret (and I would also add, publishable!)
So, I turned to this for some inspiration...
No, no, not the Vogue Living (although there's inspiration aplenty in there). See that little yellow box...picked it up at the Post Office...it's quite amazing what you can find there. $4.95 and the pack says for ages 8+, but honestly...how many 8 year olds do you know going to dinner parties...unless it's those kids from Junior Masterchef. But dammit, I'd have them out in the kitchen cooking not sitting around the table amusing me.
Anywaaaay,  what should be the first card that tumbles out...
Embarrassing moment...oh good! But it got me on a bit of a roll to reveal things you don't know about me...so, a little story...
  • It was in Papua New Guinea. I was there as the media liaison officer for the Defence Force one Anzac Day in the 90s. We sent a contingent to march. I was wearing a pure white Navy Officer's uniform (quite legitimately as I was in the Navy...well, the Navy Reserve actually). So there you go...'fact/secret' No 1...you didn't know I was in the Navy as well as the Army did you?
  • Our then Prime Minister Paul Keating was the main dignitary. I met him and shook his hand. F/S No. 2....much as I admire Mr Keating (non-Labor voters please don't judge), he had a very unimpressive handshake. I found that extremely disappointing.
  • Apart from shaking hands with the PM, I thought I should introduce myself to the journos, as I was meant to be their main point of contact and it may have been a bit hard to do the job without saying hi! I rocked on up to the very famous (well in Australia anyway) Peter Harvey...he's tall. Okay, that's a fact not a secret...and it's not about me. Stick with me anyway bloggy peeps.
  • I was a bit nervous...he was famous...almost as famous as the PM in fact. Perhaps more. Are you getting the picture? F/S No 4...sometimes I'm not as brave as I could be.
  • But up I 'marched' to Mr Harvey (I didn't actually march...even though I was in uniform that would have been far too nerdy). F/S No 5...despite the crochet rock and few hundred other bits of 'evidence', I am NOT nerdy. This is nerdy...
  • I put my hand out to shake his...looked Peter in the eye (I'm quite tall too...[F/S No. 6]... so it wasn't too much of a stretch)...and said...wait for it...you'll love this...
  • "Hello. I'm Peter Harvey". F/S No 7...I'm not Peter Harvey....he was Peter Harvey.
  • F/S No. 8...a crack in the universe (a la Doctor Who) did not appear and the ground did not swallow me up as it was meant to.
  • I did however blush a very unattractive shade of bright red. Against a snow white Navy uniform, that's very red indeed, even taking into account the tropical heat. F/S No 9...I blush...still...even at this age.
  • F/S No. 10....Peter Harvey had the very good grace to laugh along with me once I stopped blushing and I even managed to tell him my real name somewhere along the way. Fact...yes my name is Kerry....and
  • I have indeed told this story at many a dinner party...
Now, enough about me...for quite a while I should think. I would like to pass this Stylish Blogger award on to Jeanne who blogs at Collage of Life and three other places too. Everything about Jeanne is stylish; her photos, her words and most importantly I think...her philosophy. And that's what it's all about :)