a DIY chevron mirror

on Monday, June 14, 2010

I attempted a few projects over the weekend. This was the only one that made it to completion. 
With a few hiccups along the way...no surprises there! So here's how it went...
I bought this very cheap mirror at the framers a while back...don't get too excited at the cost...it's not a big mirror (about 10 x 10 inches) and you can see why it was going cheap...eww before photos are ugly aren't they, which is no doubt why they are just that...


I assembled the weapons of construction...flat fats...you quilters are so cute!
Cut out the fabric to the right size...more or less...sprayed the mirror with spray adhesive...there was my first mistake...stuck on the fabric and cut out the centre piece with a good old Stanley knife. Then I got together the bits I thought I'd need for glueing the ribbon edging on with...
Wrong. A glue gun is not the best choice for this...but gee it makes an interesting pattern when you leave it unattended while you spray the ribbon...not the mirror this time. I am nothing if not a quick learner!
And can you see...what a mess when you spray the mirror and not the fabric. I used a variety of methods to clean the mirror up...not yet entirely successfully but let's just say silver cleaner, eucalyptus oil and 'spray and wipe' all got a workout! Lucky I know how to laugh is all I can say. 
But enough with the ugly photos...it doesn't look too bad if you stand back a bit...in the dark...with one eye closed...
And as for those other projects? You'll have to wait for the mini-me fake juju hat but it's coming, I promise you that! Once I get more hot pink turkey feathers...
You think I'm joking don't you!!
I'm going to share this little gem at BNOTP Metamorphosis Monday today and maybe a few other places too including here...
hoping that serious DIYers might get a little amusement from my feeble efforts! It always seems easy in my imagination!